The Curly Girl Method for men
In this article:
It seems clear to us that men are also looking for a suitable way to treat their hair.
Did you know that there are also a lot of Curly Boy bloggers and vloggers on your social media channels, blogging and / or vlogging about their quest for naturally curly hair?
Read about how some of our favorite Curly Boy bloggers do this, maybe this will give you some inspiration for your own curls.
Giovanni Ferrer (@giofilipinohair)
This relaxed hipster from LA has a huge fan base with 361,000 Instagram followers (@giofilipinohair) and 305,000 YouTube subscribers (Gio’s Wave).
He has striking black curly hair down to his buttocks and is not afraid to experiment with different styling products.
His most watched video on YouTube (up to 2.5 million views) is a Curly Hair “on the go” Routine for men. How that routine goes?
Now that I have product all over my hair, what I do now is flip over my hair so when it dries (…) it’s not stuck to my head like this so I typically flip my hair over, flip it out, do whatever I wanna do to it
- Wash your hair with TRESemmé Flawless Curls Shampoo and Conditioner (these products are not CG proof, because they contain silicones and sulphates). Leave a little conditioner in your hair.
- Divide your hair into sections with a center parting.
- Brush your hair to remove the tangles (not completely CG proof, but if you have a lot of tangles you can try a Denman Brush).
- Apply Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Style Milk (CG proof): Gio uses one pump for the left part of his hair and one pump for the right part of his hair. He has very long hair, of course, so decide for yourself which amount is enough for you. Apply the product from the roots to the ends and comb through your hair with your fingers to distribute evenly. He distributes the product even further through the hair with a comb. Again, see what works well for your hair.
- Then apply Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle (CG proof). He does not use too much product for this and applies it by brushing his hair with his flat hand.
- Then he flips his hair over, shakes it out, scrunches it, flips it back and lets it air dry (CG proof).
- His hair is 80% dry four hours later and the result is truly amazing.
This guy has just over 7,000 followers on Instagram and 48,000 YouTube subscribers.
He naturally has dark curls, but is not afraid to experiment with different hairstyles, going from straight to blonde and back again.
His most popular video has been viewed over 600,000 times and is about how to braid (cornrow braids) your hair.
“Of course it’s not perfect, but just practice. If you want to try it yourself, practice, practice, and you will get there”
- Make a – perfect – middle part in your wet hair and then divide your hair further into parts.
- Apply African Pride Olive Miracle Hair & Scalp Strengthening Leave-In Conditioner (almost CG proof, the product does contain silicone) and Aussie 3 Miracle Oil Reconstructor (almost CG proof, the product does contain silicone) on the length of the hair and Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Natural Curly Styling Custard (CG proof) at the roots.
- Start at your forehead and take a small section of hair that you divide into three smaller sections.
- Then you start with braids where you do not braid at the top, but at the bottom (then you get the typical cornrow braid). You braid towards the back of your head and keep taking some strands of hair with you.
- While braiding, avoid tangling your hair by brushing your fingers through your hair while braiding.
- That way you go round your head and the result is really very sleek and beautiful (Graham thinks and rightly so).
- When you go to sleep, it is best to protect your braids with a silk or satin scarf.
Terrell McDonald (@mcdonaldterell)
Hello curl crush! Terrell McDonald is a real cutie, has 20,000 YouTube subscribers (Terrell McDonald) and 20,000 followers on Instagram (@mcdonaldterell).
He has beautiful spiral curls, perfect eyebrows and a very young face.
It’s really nice to see his development over the years in his videos: not only how beautifully long his hair has grown, but also how he is increasingly becoming the Curly Boy blogger he is today.
A lot of his videos are about curl definition and we totally get that: he seems to have invented curl definition. Tips? Yes please.
“It’s not the product that’s really giving you curly hair, it’s the product that’s defining the curls you already have..just to clear that up.”
- On wash day, take a spray bottle with warm water and Mixed Chicks Curl Defining & Frizz Eliminating Leave-In Conditioner (almost CG proof, the product does contain silicone). Terrell notes that this is a pretty expensive product, but totally worth it. It works wonders and you don’t need much of it.
- Divide your hair into sections, top to bottom, securing each section with a pin or an elastic band.
- Spray the water, mixed with a little coconut oil, on the first part of the hair and wet the hair thoroughly. In one of his first videos he starts at the top, in one of his later videos he starts at the bottom. Maybe it has to do with the length of his hair; his hair is a lot longer in the last video and therefore heavier.
- Then you apply a lump of leave-in and detangle your hair with your fingers, immediately making sure that every strand of hair is covered with the leave-in.
- Then apply gel, grasp each strand of hair between your thumb and forefinger and move from top to bottom. This way you can be sure that it is covered with gel. It doesn’t matter if you still see some product on your hair. When your hair dries, it disappears (and at least you know for sure that you have put enough in your hair). For the gel he uses Ecostyler Olive Oil Styling Gel (CG proof, contains fatty alcohols), of which he uses a lot. That way you can enjoy your hair for several days.
- When you have had all the hair, shake your hair from side to side.
- Repeat with each section of the hair. Terrell gives every hair strand the same amount of love, that is a painstaking job, but when you consider that afterwards he enjoys his curls for 7 days, it is worth it.
Dawan Pearson (@curlyguy13)
This newly graduated nurse has more than 50,000 subscribers on YouTube (Curly Guy) and an equal number of followers on Instagram (@curlyguy13).
He likes to show off his sporty body. In his most watched videos he straightens his hair. He’s just started a new series on YouTube going back to basics: Natural Hair 101.
First episode? Deep conditioning.
“I always tell people to deep conditioning at least once a week (…), that way you’re constantly reinforcing that moisture and getting your hair used to being moisturized like that”“..I leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes and just let my hair soak up al the goodness and marinate”
- First, make sure you have clean hair, so you’ve just washed your hair.
- Detangle your hair with your fingers (or like him, with a brush).
- He uses NaturallClub CBD + Avocado Revitalizing Deep Conditioner (CG proof, it is so fresh and natural that you have to keep the products in the freezer to keep them good), these products are unfortunately not yet available in the Netherlands.
- Divide your hair into sections, apply a lot of deep conditioner to your first section. Apply your deep conditioner of your choice and distribute through your hair with a brush or your fingers.
- Secure the part that you treated with the deep conditioner and move on to the next section until you are done.
- Then you put a shower cap or even better, a heat cap, over your hair. If you don’t have a heat hood, you can spread heat over your hair with a hair dryer, for example. Leave the deep conditioner hair mask on for about 15-20 minutes under your shower cap.
- Then you take your hat off your head and, good Curly Guy tip, when you see that your curls have shrunk (hang less far down) you know that you are in the right place. Then you will style yes hair.
No comment yet, add your voice below!