What is the Curly Guy Method?
The Curly Guy Method is the same as the Curly Girl Method, but then for curly guys. Because curls are not just just for girls! Curly guys need to give their hair just as much attention and care as curly girls. But in general, men are less interested in this. And that’s totally okay! That’s why we’ll share a few tips that you can apply immediately.
The basic rules of the Curly Guy Method
The CG Method is based on a few basic rules, such as:
- Don’t wash your hair too often.
- Banish hair products with harmful chemicals, like sulfates, parabens, silicones that are not water-soluble, wax, non-natural oils, harmful alcohols and odor or perfume.
- Don’t use a normal towel to dry your hair, but rather use a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt.
- Omit brushes and combs, as they will cause frizz.
Determining your curl type
Curly hair can be divided into different curl types. It’s very helpful to know this, so you can adjust your routine, products and hairstyles accordingly and provide a more beautiful and healthier curl.
It’s very simple, you just have to know how it works. All hair types are divided into numbers from 1 to 4. Number 1 is straight hair, so we’ll leave that one out. The numbers 2, 3 and 4 indicate your curl type: 2 stands for wavy, 3 for curly and 4 for coily. The letters A, B and C indicate how tightly curled your curls are. You can also have a combination of two curl types that are close together.
Caring for curls according to the Curly Guy Method
How to wash curls
Many men wash their hair every day, which is way too often for curly hair. Because shampoo strips your scalp and hair of the natural oils. So the more often you use shampoo, the less moisture and natural oils your hair will have. And these oils are important to keep your scalp healthy and your curls moisturized. So from now on, try to wash your hair no more than 2 to 3 times a week and see if this makes a difference to the condition of your curls.
Preferably use a conditioner as a replacement for shampoo, also called a co-wash. This is because shampoo often is harmful to your hair: it contains harsh cleansers that do their job so well that they wash away the natural oils from your hair and can therefore damage the structure of your hair. This can cause an irritated and dry scalp, frizzy hair, and hair that quickly becomes greasy. Co-washing is much gentler on your hair and scalp. Occasionally, alternate this with a clarifying shampoo to remove build-up from your hair. This is an accumulation of dirt and hair products on your hair.
How to style curls
Skip the brush, as this will cause frizzy hair. Most guys with short curly hair or waves can get away with not brushing every day. If you want to do it anyway, detangle when your hair is soaking wet and use your fingers or a wide tooth comb. When styling your curls, there are a ton of tips to bring out the best in your hair, but we promised to keep it simple. That’s why we’ll give you two options:
- A light hold styler, such as a sea salt spray, can give your hair an effortless, beachy vibe. Distribute the product evenly through your wet hair and scrunch it in to help the curls maintain definition. Let your hair air dry.
- A mousse or a gel provides a stronger hold. When you apply this to wet hair, it dries along with your hair, leaving behind a cast or crunch. This cast helps your curls, providing them with a structure that maintains their natural shape and also prevents frizz. Let your hair dry completely, and when it’s dry, use the Scrunch out the Crunch method. It will make your hair soft again, but with nicely defined curls.