What is the Curly Girl Method?
First of all, it might be useful to explain what the Curly Girl Method is. The CG Method is a predominantly natural hair routine that promises to bring out your curls completely. The method was invented in 2007 by Lorraine Massey, who described it in her book ‘Curly Girl: The Handbook’. It’s a hair care method that trades harmful habits for a healthy curly hair regimen, using only nourishing products without sulfates, silicones and parabens.
The idea is that you take better care of your hair this way, and that is of course always good: whether you have straight, wavy or curly hair! In any case, it can provide healthier, thicker and fuller hair.
Curious? Follow our Curly Girl Method guide for beginners!
Does the CG Method work for straight hair?
As we said, some people don’t even know they have curls. They wash their hair like they always do, then brush it, and let it air dry. Whereas if they did this differently, there might be a slight wave or even a curl pattern. So for that reason alone it’s worth giving the CG Method a try!
Emma took up the challenge and tried the Curly Girl Method. After years of straightening and bleaching her hair, she finally decided to embrace her natural waves. She switched to having all over highlights twice a year, and really only straightening her hair for special events. And it has already done a world of wonders! After her very first CG routine, she was completely shocked to see how much a difference her wave pattern has changed. “My hair feels super healthy and has so much volume!”.
A CG-routine for straight hair
We think it would be good for everyone to apply some of the Curly Girl tips, whether you have curls or straight hair. Because ultimately, it’s all about healthy hair!
- Grab your hair products and read the ingredient label. Does it contain silicones and sulphates? Stop using them and look for hair products without those ingredients. Sulphates cleans your hair too aggressively, causing it to become dry. And silicones coat your hair, which makes your hair shiny, look healthy and feel soft, but it actually seals your hair, preventing good hair products from getting through. In the long run, this will be at the expense of your hair’s health.
- It’s better not to dry your hair with a normal towel, but with a microfibre towel or cotton t-shirt. A towel absorbs all the moisture from your hair and the rough fabric creates a friction that damages the hair cuticles. This causes your hair to frizz, and creates tangles and split ends.
- Don’t brush your hair when it’s dry, because it will get frizzy if you do have curls. You cause broken hair and destroy the structure of your curls. Instead, comb your hair in the shower after applying the conditioner. This makes your hair soft and easier to comb. It’s best to use your fingers or a Denman Brush for this.
- From now on, sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase. Satin or silk pillowcases are super-smooth and reduce friction on the hair overnight. This way you’ll get less frizzy hair, tangles, split ends.
- Avoid curling irons and straighteners, as they can seriously damage your hair.